This guide explains how to set up and claim SAP using the Qtac payroll software.
Statutory Adoption Pay (SAP) is a statutory entitlement under UK employment law. The same method is used to select SMP and SPP, however certain parameters are different. Follow the guide below for an accurate walk-through.
- ‘S.A.P.’ stands for ‘Statutory Adoption Pay’ – which is payable to both male and female employees.
- Firstly, select the employees name from the employee list on the main payroll home-screen.
- Then go into ‘Employee’ > ‘Absence Recording’
- Click the ‘Add New’ button
- Select ‘SAP’ from the ‘Order Type’ drop down box
- Enter in the expected date of adoption into ‘Expected Date’
- An actual date is not needed though one can be entered
- Enter in the day they are leaving to go on adoption leave in the ‘Leave Start’ box
- Enter in the ‘Date Certificate Issued’ – keep any self certificate given to you by the employee
- Set the ‘Basic Pay Adjustment’:
Reduce Standard basic pay by Statutory Pay:
This option reduces the basic pay by the SAP amount, thus giving you the same gross total pay, just a combination of SAP and ‘Basic Pay’.
Do not Pay Basic Pay:
This option will clear the employees ‘Basic Pay’ to 0.00, leaving only the automatically calculated SAP amount
Pay Basic Pay as entered:
This option allows you to pay whatever you want to the employee in ‘Basic Pay’ alongside the automatically calculated SAP amount
- Finally click ‘Save‘
- Reduce Standard basic pay by Statutory Pay:
Remember that if the ‘Leave Start’ date for the ASPP is mid-week, the ASPP won’t take effect until the week after as ASPP needs a full week – 7 days – before it can start paying out.